Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I Don't Quit My Day Job

Remember how excited Vinny and I were about Walter Thomas? Thomas, you'll recall, was the 6'4", 375 lbs. junior college nose tackle who was agile enough to turn back flips and was anointed "the draft's biggest sleeper" by The New York Times.

I was so smitten by the big man that I told Vinny that the Browns might have to use a fourth round pick on him. Wrong. Thomas went undrafted, but that wasn't enough to deter me. Nope, I couldn't understand why the Browns wouldn't go after him as a free agent. Finally, the Saints signed him--a shrewd move by a team on the rise, I thought.

Well, it turns out that my own diamond in the rough lasted exactly 12 minutes in an NFL camp. The Saints released Thomas after discovering that he was so out of shape that he had to be assisted from the field shortly after his first mini-camp practice began.

Oops. My bad.

I guess this explains why Phil Savage won't return my calls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd still hire you over Dwight Clark ...

Hornless Rhino said...

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.