Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup

The biggest sporting event in the world got under way yesterday, with Germany defeating Costa Rica 4 to 2.

Like most Americans, I wouldn't classify myself as a huge soccer fan. Although I love to watch my daughter's teams play, I've never been able to get into the style of soccer that's played at higher levels here in the United States. Based on what I've seen, the collegiate and MLS referees tolerate little physical contact, and seem to award a free kick every time one player gives another a dirty look.

Fortunately, I discovered the English Premier League a few years ago, and I can tell you that it's a different story across the pond. The English teams are not only incredibly skilled, but they whomp the snot out of each other on a pretty regular basis. In fact, if you watch English soccer, you can easily understand how the game morphed into sports like rugby and football.

Anyway, in honor of the World Cup, I'm posting a video of what was voted the greatest goal in World Cup history. It's a truly breathtaking display of athletic ability from Argentina's Diego Maradona against England in 1986.



One of the fascinating things about this goal is that it happened only minutes after what has become the most infamous goal in World Cup history--and both were scored by Diego Maradona. Click here to read the story of the "Hand of God" goal.

No comments: