Saturday, March 04, 2006

Is it just me?

I know I'm real late in posting, but work intruded upon my ability to write.

Anyway, is it just me or did it seem like the USA was spanked in the Winter Olympics? I'm not talking about the typical boorish behavior of our athletes. That's become commonplace. Let's face it. As a general rule, our athletes lack the "Olympic spirit." Maybe it disappeared after the Cold War ended. Before that, our guys pulled together to beat the Soviet-bloc athletes. Otherwise, they were pretty gracious to our NATO allies and the athletes from the third world, except Cuba.

Since the wall came down, American Olympic athletes have lost their collective way.

I think that also sadly has spilled over into performance. Although the US racked up an impressive bunch of medals, it appeared like our athletes just slipped by in most of the events. The events where Americans dominated were the made up ones like snowboarding. I mean, what the hell is that and who the hell is the Flying Tomato? In case you didn't notice, and most people didn't (American Idol had better ratings.), the US Hockey teams looked like crap. The ski teams were embarassed. And, the men's speed skating team showed off its dysfunction for all the world to see.

It will be hard for the Americans to be more embarassing in Vancouver than they were in Torino, but I believe they'll do it. After all, "Citius, Altius, Fortius."

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

~~~The Olympic Creed

Yeah. Right.

No comments: