Monday, November 21, 2005

Damn, talk about a great sports weekend!

Ohio State beats Michigan, the Cavs improve to 8-2, and the Browns crush the Dolphins. It doesn't get much better than that around here.

First things first--how about them Bucks? As I've previously stated, I'm a Notre Dame fan, but when it comes to the Michigan game, I'm scarlet and grey all the way. I hope ND takes care of business next week against Stanford, because I would love to see an ND v. Ohio State matchup in a BCS bowl. So, for that matter, would the bowl people. Those two teams guarantee any bowl lucky enough to match them up a full house and huge television ratings. Quick question for Michigan fans: do you miss John Cooper?

Now, on to the Cavs. No, forget it--no NBA until after the Super Bowl.

Finally, the Browns. A lot of guys really stepped up yesterday. I mean, when Alvin McKinley gets a sack, you know it's the Browns' day. The score tells you all you need to know about the defense's performance. Offensively, Droughns was his usual awesome self, and that first play from scrimmage was as memorable a run as I've seen this season. Braylon Edwards showed up to play, Terrelle Smith made a circus catch for a TD, Antonio Bryant made some big plays and the o-line was solid (including LJ Shelton). I was surprised to see Charlie Frye get inserted in the first half--if it were me, I'd have waited until the game was comfortably in hand before playing Frye.

The papers already commented that Frye looked like a rookie, but there was one play that truly showed his potential, or at least his arm strength. I'm speaking of the play in the fourth quarter where Frye stumbled and scrambled around, and then threw threw a strike across his body back toward the middle of the field. Edwards made a nice play on the ball, which was absolutely smoked. I hope that the Browns chewed Frye out for making that throw, because it was stupid--any coach will tell you that the two things a QB should never do are throw back across his body and throw late over the middle, and Frye did both of those things. On the other hand, damn, what an arm! while I've heard lots of people compliment Charlie Frye's intelligence and fundamentals, I haven't heard people rhapsodize about his arm strength. I'll tell you right now, though, there are very few quarterbacks in the NFL with the arm strength to make that kind of play.

All in all, just about a perfect day--until, that is, Trent Dilfer decided to have a temper tantrum in the post-game press conference. Dilfer has not exactly done much in recent weeks to endear himself to Browns' fans, and even yesterday, the man sailed almost every ball he threw, requiring his receivers to make circus catches out of what should have been routine plays. So, the post-game ego trip was just over the top.

It's times like these when I think the Browns could really use a guy with my people skills. Because what I would do is quietly sidle up to Trent, and say "Trent, you seem like a nice guy, but you stink like feet. I'm sorry you stink, but you do. So shut up and cash your check. You are a seat warmer for Frye or, if they decide he's not the guy, the next can't miss QB prospect." I would of course carry a hand gun when I did this, but I would do it. Why? Well, because in difficult situations like this, there's no substitute for the human touch--and I'm famous for my "soft hands."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez boys. What's the dillio? The Bears have just torn off six in a row and you guys don't even mention them. You said you would. They just beat Carolina. If you guys want to know about Cami you've got to scratch my back too.

Anonymous said...

ignore tina. she's using my computer to tease you guys. she doesn't mess around with guys anyway. she's just a huuuuuuuuuuge exhibitionist. she alsways wants people to watch her and look at her. she does like the bears a lot though and it would make her happy if you printed something. i wouldn't be too upset either if you went back to the hot lesbian cheerleader subject. i liked the raiderettes.;)

xoxoxo cami