Monday, November 07, 2005

Browns 20, Titans 14

Well, I'll take it! It wasn't pretty, and it frequently wasn't very good, but it was a win featuring some hard nosed performances by the Browns' defense and Reuben Droughns, who overcame the distraction of his DUI arrest to give the Browns the most gutsy performance from a running back that they've seen since they returned to town.

Right now, I'm blogging from LaGuardia airport, so I'm not going to say much more. I was at the game yesterday, and there are a few thumbs-ups and thumbs-downs that I want to give out before I get on my plane.

Thumbs way, WAY up for Reuben Droughns, who literally left it all on the field for the Browns.
Thumbs up for Dennis Northcutt for the catch and the double reverse. Welcome back to the Cleveland offense, Dennis.
Thumbs up for the Browns' defense, which shut down the Titans when it had to do so.
Thumbs up for Kyle Richardson, whom I've crucified over the last two weeks. He deserved crucifixion then and he deserves praise now.
Thumbs down for Phil Dawson. I don't care if you were 14 for 14--you get paid to hit a 39 yard field goal in the clutch, and you didn't.
Thumbs down for Steve Heiden. Talk about untimely penalties!
Thumb up his ass--again--for Trent Dilfer. What was he thinking when he once again made a decision (the third down pass behind the line of scrimmage) that took the Browns out of field goal range late in the 4th quarter?
Thumbs down for the Rhino, who managed to fit his ample head up his ass once again with this weekend's prediction (jeez, I had cool stats and everything!)
Thumbs up for the stadium entrepreneuer who came up with the "Kellen Knievel" tee shirt being hawked outside the game yesterday. Outstanding!

Finally, a BIG thumbs up for the truth in advertising homeless guy I saw on the way out of the game, who held up a sign that read: "Why Lie? I need money for beer" as he jingled his cup full of coins.

No comments: