Sunday, April 29, 2007

Well Done, Browns

I think efforts to grade drafts 15 minutes after they end are silly; we won't begin to know how this draft turned out until well into next season. But I'll tell you one thing: if the Cleveland Browns are in the Super Bowl five years from now, this draft will be the event that people speak of as the team's turning point. Phil Savage laid it all on the line in this draft. He didn't try to save his job or Romeo Crennel's job. He made it apparent with this draft that winning right now is what matters the most, and he was willing stick his neck out to do that.

Boy, do I ever respect that approach, even if I don't agree with every selection he made. I think this was an exceptional draft, because it was a draft in which the front office said, "To hell with it. We're tired of losing. Let's roll the dice and see if we can't win some damn games."

Phil Savage won't hear any criticism from me. I now believe he wants to win more than he wants to keep his job. This is a good day to be a Cleveland Browns fan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the updates. I appreciated them especially because you couldn't get news any other place.

Hornless Rhino said...

Thanks. We had a good time doing them.

Ben said...

props on the updates as well

Anonymous said...

Are you guys married? Do either of you have lives? In all seriousness, I liked your stuff. It's way better than the Beacon.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading this blog post a lot because of the information you have shared here.

online sports management masters