Tuesday, March 20, 2007

"You Know It's True. Forget It, Jake. It's Cleveland."

The title of this post comes from Vinny's reply to an e-mail that I sent him yesterday. My original e-mail message included a link to Rich Swerbinsky's report about a rumor that Kellen Winslow may miss the 2007 season. Adam Schefter subsequently noted the rumor in his NFL.com column, but reassured Browns fans that "neither Winslow's doctors, trainers or the tight end himself believes that his 2007 season will be curtailed."

That would be nice if it turns out to be true, but until I see Winslow take the field myself, I think I'll go with Vinny and his Chinatown riff over Schefter's regurgitation of the optimistic party line in the online edition of NFL Pravda. If you've seen Chinatown, then you know that Vinny's paraphrasing of the film's famous last line sums up the Browns fan experience so well that we ought to replace the "our team, our name, our colors" plaque outside of Cleveland Browns Stadium with one that bears Vinny's alternative.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Cleveland." Truer words were never spoken.

No comments: