Monday, April 10, 2006

Fantasy in South Florida

Sorry that I've been derelict in my posts, but I spent the weekend in Boca Raton for a fantasy baseball draft. Ten of us having been doing this since 1987.

The draft went well. I have a great infield, great closers, slightly above-average starters, Jim Thome as my DH, but a weak outfield. I guess I'll find out if you can win a competitive league with a bunch of bums in the outfield. It's an AL only league. As to members of the Tribe, Victor Martinez, Todd Hollandsworth, Jake Westbrook and Jason Johnson grace my roster.

More imporantantly, I was hanging out with some other baseball nerds and dancers. Roberto ("Manos de Piedra") Duran showed up too. He, as you guessed, was not part of the baseball draft. He showed up for the dancers, and quickly ensconced himself and his small entourage in what appeared to be a fairly large Arabian tent-like structure. A cadre of dancers was dispatched, and he was never seen again. Sadly for him, he didn't get to hang out with a bunch of lawyers and talk about baseball. I kinda feel sad for the guy. Well, I guess you can't have everything.

No comments: