Saturday, February 18, 2006

It's Here.



"Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart."

~~~Victor Hugo



Pitchers and catchers reported this week and the hitters will start making their way to Florida and Arizona. For the four decades of my life this has traditionally been the time when the Indians are closest to winning the World Series.

As a boy, I remember people sitting around and talking about how Sam McDowell can win 25, if he only stays off the sauce; that Vada Pinson is the answer; that we robbed the Yankees by giving them Craig Nettles (who'd previously cost us Luis Tiant) for Charlie Spikes; and that we robbed 'em again when we unloaded former Rookie of the Year, Chris Chambliss, and Dick Tidrow for Fritz Peterson.

As I got older, the expectations of my friends and neighbors became a little more tempered: Joe Charboneau will take this team to the Series; Cory Snyder will be the greatest shortstop in Major League history; Joe Carter and Mel Hall will push this team over the top; and the Yankees will lose because they can't keep winning.

As jaded as I am, I can't help it. I love the potential of the Tribe in the spring. However, that doesn't mean I think the Indians will win squat. After all, Larry Dolan is still holding the purse strings here.

I'll follow this with my thoughts on Spring Training and the Tribe's chances in '06, but for today, I'll just fantasize about what could have been and what could be.

No comments: