Sunday, January 15, 2006

Patriot Schadenfreude

The dictionary says that "schadenfreude" is "a malicious satisfaction in the misfortune of others." Well, I'm all about schadenfreude this morning.

As you may have guessed from my earlier review of David Halberstam's book on Bill Belichick, the Little Man isn't my favorite guy. Not surprisingly, the Patriots aren't exactly my favorite team either. That's why it was so satisfying to not only see them go down in flames to the Broncos last night, but to also watch them lose their composure (I originally used a word other than composure) while doing it.

I enjoyed it, and I'm sure the Broncos' fans did too. But I guarantee you that nobody enjoyed it as much as Mike Shanahan. Shanahan's star has faded in recent years, while Belichick's has ascended. I think it's fair to say that Shanahan outcoached the Little Man at key points during last night's game, and I think it's also fair to say that both men know it.

No comments: